Redemption's End

Session 2

DM: As you approach the docks you notice a large crowd gathering. The City guard is hauling a man away. He yells some stuff about a vision, and impending doom for everyone. An official approaches and asks to see your tickets, travel vouchers, and luggage permits.

V: Eyeing the official momentarily, Veyr shows her ticked to the man. “Does this pass your inspection?” she asks, diffidently.

Gromak: Having nothing but the bag on his back Gromak held out his ticket to the official. He didn’t want any trouble before they had even gotten started, so he hoped to get everything taken care of quickly.

Mardove: mardove hands the ticket to the offical then puts up her hood.

Oomaru strolled up to the docks with a wave of whispers and pointing fingers following him which he took little heed of. The whispers stemmed from the fact that walking alongside him was a dark gray wolf eyeing all surrounding people suspiciously. He played with his ticket anxious to get going.

H: Hildegarde rustles through her bag looking for the required papers. She glances around and notices that everyone who had agreed to take the job last night had, in fact, shown up today. She was a bit surprised at this. It would certainly be a lively group, and she was looking forward to getting to know some new people. She presents her ticket to the man and flashes a smile. She strides confidently (as much as a gnome can, at least) on to the boat.

DM: “Now hang on there! those are valid tickets, but I still need to see your travel vouchers, and luggage permits. You do have them, don’t you?” The Official demands.
V: “Travel vouchers?” she asks, eyeing the man for a moment. “I’ve neither heard of such a thing, nor was informed of the requirement of them. I suggest if you’ve a problem with my ticket, you take it up with my… patron, as it were.”

Gromak: Grunting in agreement Gromak addresses the official, “I too do not have these things. All I have is my ticket.”

DM: The Official puffs out his chest and recites “Stormfast law says that to leave the city you have to have a travel voucher stating where you’re going and if you plan to return. The luggage permit is required for passage carry your effects with you and take responsibility for those items if they’re lost.” on all ships originating from Stormfast. It shows that the captain agrees to carry your effects with you and take responsibility for those items if they’re lost."

Oomaru: The gray wolf growls threateningly at The Official, “Is THAT enough of a voucher for you?” Oomaru says slightly bemused, “Also I will be managing my own belongs if thats alright with your captain…”

H: Hildegarde stops as the man asks to see some other papers. “I was not given other papers. If you have an issue, please take it up with my employer. I’m sure they’ll be very happy to disregard your request”, she replies.

DM:”Now there’s no cause for concern. I’ll take care of the arrangements, you just enjoy your trip.” the official stammers

V Veyr glances toward the gnome as she speaks with the official before adjusting the pack on her pack and brushing past. “Your methods are rather simplistic,” she notes, drily, "although I cannot argue with results. However, I believe I will have to have some words with our employer.”

Gromak: Gromak turned to the others. “Perhaps we should make our way onto the boat and leave here before we meet any with any other difficulties. I would like to discover what this prophet says that is so upsetting.”

Mardove: Without making Eye contact with anyone Mardove walks quickly onto the ship and heads belowdecks to find her cabin.

Oomaru: Stifling back a snort at the officials lack of spine he and his companion head up on board “I agree with the half-breed,” Oomaru said nodding to Gromak, "The sooner we get this over the sooner we get paid and I’d rather not have to do any extra work that I wont be paid for.”

H: Hildegarde smirked at the witch. “Sometimes, the simple methods are overlooked. And I wouldn’t expect much from employer; he hasn’t even felt fit to grace us with his presence.” Hildegarde turned to Gromak. “Well, you’re just ready and rarin’ to go! I like that.” She clapped him on the hip, because his shoulder was hopelessly out of reach.

DM:It’s a two masted wooden sailing ship with square sails. It looks fast, but well used. The small crew looks like a random assortment of people that may or may not be capable sailors. It’s obviously the lowest bidder for the job at hand.

V: “As I said,” the flame-haired human says to the half-orc, “this ‘prophet’ is just undermining their power. I am surprised he has not simply met a messy end.” She gives a nonchalant shrug. “Either way, I can’t expect this problem to be more difficult to solve than any other. After which, I may have to see to see if there is any other work to be had.” She does, however, smirk toward Hildegarde. “I am sure his presence will be quite… enjoyable.”

Gromak: Climbing aboard the ship Gromak look’s around nervously. He’s never been on a ship before, much less actually sailed somewhere on one. The water looked rather uninviting over the railings. He hoped that is was sturdy. Looking over at the witch Gromak attempts a smile. “I do believe that we are to be his messy end.” He extends his hand to the witch. “I am known as Gromak.”

DM: The first couple of days at sea are fairly uneventful. The average seasickness comes and goes, and everything goes normally. On the tenth day, however, You are all woken from your sleep early by some unknown thing. As you come to the deck You hear a voice

“The Evil has spread too far, and not enough of you are redeemable. For those that are, Welcome home. We have been anticipating removing you from this wretchedness. For the rest of you, you all have had chances. You may not think you did, but they were there. You decided your fate, Now accept it."
Each person hears the announcement in thier native tongue, and know unquestionably that it is the Goddess Iomedae that spoke.

Around you people begin to vanish.

Oomaru: Oomaru rushes up on deck just as the crewmate in front of him on the stair suddenly disappears. Confused Oomaru readies his hammer although not really sure what good it might do him. Raksha his companion leaps from the upper deck just as he reaches the top deck and lands next to him hackles flaired.

H: Hildegarde feels a desire to panic, but swallows it back and keeps her wits about her. She readies herself to fight if need be.

V: Making her way onto the deck, Veyr seems fairly less alarmed than the others. “Well,” she notes to no-one in particular despite her clothes looking hastily-thrown on. And having a decently-sized scorpion resting on her shoulder. “I think I’ll check on the Helmsman,” she notes, adjusting her bodice.

Gromak: Gromak was unsure what was happening. He had never really heard much about any of the gods, despite being raised as a monk. Their focus had always been on inner peace and meditation, total control over one’s own body. People were disappearing though, which he knew could only be bad. “Where is the captain?” he yelled. “What’s going on?” he said more quietly, absentmindedly to himself.

DM: Looking around the ship it becomes apparent that the Captian is gone along with four other crewmen. That leaves ten crewmembers who look uneasy. The First Mate steps forward and yells “All hands back to your stations!” The Quartermaster and four others seem very reluctant to comply, but do so.

DM: Several Hours later the Quartermaster gathers you up for a talk. “You may not realize it, But The first mate has decided to sell you all into slavery. I have a proposition for you. I Want the ship, and I’m sure you lot don’t want to be slaves. I’ve got some men, and we’re going to take the ship. If you help I’ll drop you at the nearest land and we’ll call it square.” he says in a hushed voice

Oomaru: Oomaru frowns in thought. He highly doubted they could forcefully drag him into slavery unless they overwhelmed him by sheer numbers. He waited to see what the others thought absently playing with the edge of his vestments.

H: Hildegarde considers the proposal. “It seems reasonable. If you double cross me, however, I will not hesitate to kill you.” She didn’t necessarily agree with the man, and would not hesitate to double cross him if it was beneficial.

V: “Does he?” Veyr asks thoughtfully, having taken time to compose herself, sitting demurely in a chair in the room they are presumably sharing, her hair brushed. “Well, I’ve no desire to be forced into slavery,” she comments. “Perhaps one of us should go speak with the First Mate to ensure he doesn’t suspect we know? Naturally, I will go myself.”

Gromak: Gromak would not be sold into slavery. He would die before subjecting himself to such a thing. Looking at the others he knew they would not go quietly either. “I will not be taken. Your plan is agreeable, assuming you are telling the truth. Our witch friend here can discover that for us though.”

DM:“I can’t garuantee your safety if I don’t know you’re with me.” The Quartermaster replies urgently. “Go see for yourself, if you don’t believe me.”

H: “I agree, the witch should investigate. If she doesn’t mind, I will accompany. I am somewhat known for my ability to…bluff, if need be.” Hildegarde is interested to see how the witch will handle this situation.

V: “You will forgive me if I don’t take your guarantees to mean more than the breath you expel them with,” Veyr says, simply as she straightens. Moving her hand to her shoulder for the scorpion she glances to the gnome. “I suppose another person shouldn’t threaten him necessarily, especially one of your stature.” The scorpion moves down her arm to conceal itself within the folds of her clothing before moving to the door. “Let us go, then.”

DM: As you come on deck you see the First mate standing on the bridge with the helmsman and a deckhand The helmsman seems fidgety, as if he’s got a secret, but is waiting for the right moment.

H: Hildegarde walks beside the witch, noticing she can almost disappear in the folds of her dress. She decides to let the witch talk first; she’ll join if she needs to.

V: The redhead strides her way toward the First Mate purposefully. “I would like to have a word with you,” she says, glancing toward the deckhand momentarily, “in private if it could be arranged. I believe we may have some business of import to discuss.”

DM: “Right this way M’lady.” He says gallantly gesturing to the previous captain’s quarters. On Entering the room and closing the door behind him he asks, “What can I help you with?”
H: Hildegarde continues to remain as inconspicuous as possible.

V: “I believe that I’ve heard a rumor,” she notes, softly, “of a most terrible plan: Mutiny, my good sir. Against your leadership.” She waits for a second before continuing. “And that you wish to enslave myself and my… companions.” She shrugs softly to herself, making her way toward a seat. “But that is such droll business. I am prepared to make you an alternative offer.”

DM: “Go on…”, He says slowly, obviously interested.

V: “While I have not yet had a time to see how many of the passengers have yet remained after the earlier… encounter, surely our compliance and convieniently being elsewhere while you capture them and those plotting against you would be worth something of the price for them? Especially with us being such… striking and obviously armed individuals on a mission?” She looks up to him curiously. “Some of our number could even aid in your efforts; surreptitiously, of course.”

View
Session 1
The Journey Begins...

DM: Looking for work each of you was drawn to a particularly seedy tavern in the common quarter of Stormreach. there’s a table with a man looking for a bounty hunter next to the bar with a sweaty-looking bartender. several patrons mill around.

Oomaru: Oomaru strolls into the tavern and makes a bee-line for the waitress to get started on his first pint of the night when he sees a man who appears to be patitioning for new hires. Being cautious he first decides to sit down at an empty table and watch him.

Veyr: Making her way into the tavern, a young woman with fiery red red hair glances about the room. She sniffs slightly, making a briefly disgusted face at the smell of brew and other… unsavory odors in the air, before moving to a convieniently cleared table. Her clothes are obviously self-mended, a travel cloak hanging down her back to brush at the panneled floors and around her right eyes in an elaborate tattoo: both her upper and lower eyelids are solid black around her dull green irises, and barbs protrude across her face.

Mardove: A woman with white skin, jet black hair, and purpleish eyes approaches from the corner. She wears a heavy cloak that hides her face from most angles. She appears aloof, but is also intrigued by the opportunity for work.

Hildegarde: Hildegarde enters the tavern rather loudly, and makes a quick glance around to check her surroundings. She notices the man at the bar, and approaches a stool next to him.

Gromak: Limping into the tavern, a half-orc does his best to avoid drawing attention to himself. Being very nearly the largest creature in the room, and wearing the tattered robes of a monk , this tactic does not work very well. Quickly, he makes his way to the bar and sits down.

DM: “HellO! Someone outfitted such as yourselves must be looking to make some money!” the Agent announces. “My master, who shall remain unnamed wishes to hire people much like you to eliminate a problem for Him. You see there’s this man on an island not far from here calling himself a prophet, and he’s generated quite a following. The trouble is he’s costing a lot of important people money. If you’re interested, I can sign you on.”

Oomaru: At the mention of money, Oomaru’s interest was drawn from the tankard which recently appeared in front of him. Lots of people could mean lots of money, he thought to himself, Best to at least check it out. He got up and strode over to the man to inquire of the payment

Veyr: “And what, pray tell, would the payment be?” the redhead asks, sneering toward the man for a moment after lowering herself into the chair to rock it back.

DM: “Well now I believe the master was offeri-” the agent starts to say. He’s cut off by sudden shouting from over next to the fireplace. “What Do you Mean Bacon isn’t the most delicios food on earth!” the Drunken man roars. Bacon is the best thing since.. since.. Well Since forever!"

Hildegarde: Hildegarde snorts back a laugh. She turns towards the drunken man. “Is now REALLY the time to debate the merits of delicious pork?” She turns back towards the man at the bar. “I’m interested if the pay is good,” Hildegarde responds, looking the man square in the eye. She waits expectantly for a response, confident that the offer will be to low for gnome of her many talents.

DM: The now flustered agent replies "Well as I was saying, my master is offering six hundred platinum for proof that the “prophet” is dead. he said something about a bonus if the cult was destroyed too…"

Gromak: Gromak thought better of ordering a drink when he heard the man’s offer and had begun to make his way around towards him when the shouting started. Usually he would have avoided any conflict that didn’t effect him, but he needed funds and the money offered was just too good to pass up. Coming to a stop near the agent he asked, “What is this prophet preaching, and why does your master wish him stopped?”

DM: “The master wasn’t that specific, and I’m sure some of that would give away his identity. He REALLY wanted to avoid that.” the agent mumbles.

Oomaru: “And is that per individual or to be spread amongst the group?” Trust was never his strong point and his cynacism was showing through. Although he did see a potential exploit in the ‘per individual’ clause as his mind drifting to the nearby forrest.

DM: “The Reward was to be divided equally, but the bonus goes as the master sees fit.” The agent replies, happy to be off the hook.

Veyr: “And why should we trust one who is so unwilling to come foward to speak for himself?” The Witch, for that is as her tattoos mark her to be, asks. She glances toward the oddly-garbed Half-Orc momentarily before casually remarking, “I am sure this… ‘master’ is simply threatened by another who may yet claim some semblance of power as they understand it.” Toward Oomaru, she gives a sneer. “Why should we be obligated to work with one another?”

Hildegarde: Not one to turn down a challenge or the possibility of bonus pay, Hildegarde is intrigued by the job. However, she remains skeptical of the situation, the others in the tavern, and the secrecy surrounding the job. “I am not normally one to work with others, especially those I do not know well. With no knowledge of what the bonus may be or with how many I will have to split my pay, why should I be inclined to take this job?”

DM: “ladies,my job is only to hire people to do a job. I’ve told you what I’m allowed other than the master doesn’t care how it gets done so long as there’s proof.”

Gromak: “I find myself in agreement with the gnome.” Gromak grumbled. “I do not like working with others normally… but if we have so little to go on, having someone around might come in handy.” He bowed to the agent. “I, Gromak of the fallen temple, offer my services to your master and will accompany any others who wish to undertake this quest.

Oomaru: “Well, so long as you buy me another drink I see no reason to sit here on my haunches, althought keep in mind that I pledge loyalty to no one. Only my services.”

V: “And how little you have been told in turn,” Veyr responds coldly. “Clearly, you are close in his confidences.” She makes a dismissive gesture toward Gromak. “You look the type to end up in more trouble than you’re worth with your talk of oaths. I will accompany you, I suppose; perchance I shall even line my pockets.”

Hildegarde: “I agree to take on this task; however, I remain wary of the situation.” Hildegarde leans back and adjusts her purple braid. “Bartender, get me a coffee please. If I am to work with others, I’m sure I will need it”. She looks dismissively at Oomaru and Gromak.

Gromak: Gromak looked pleased they had accepted his invitation, but knew that he could trust none of them. “Then we shall go together and see what we may. Tell us how to reach this island and we shall complete your task.”

Mardove: Mardove edges over to the table and pauses for a moment, half of her seems to want to run away, but the other half suppresses that urge and desperately reaches for the pen. She signs the contract quickly and backs away.

V: “I would presume we shall have to cross some water, dear half-orc,” Veyr notes drily.

DM: “Yes, the ship leaves in the morning. Here are your tickets, and good lu-” The agent is interrupted by a flying mug that hits him solidly in the jaw. “I TOLD YOU BACON WAS THE BEST THING EVER!” Screams the drunken lout by the fireplace. his companion yells “YOU CAN WIPE YOUR CATS ARSE WITH BACON FOR ALL I CARE!” and shoves him across the room. The first drunk smashes through the table.

Hildegarde: Hildegarde finishes her coffee, and wrinkles her nose at the foul taste. She throws the mug at the drunkard in the corner, hoping to hit the drunkard that’s shouting about pork. “Bartender, I’ll take another coffee, with a splash of brandy this time to cover the foulness.” She looks at Veyr. “I can tell this will make for interesting company. Wouldn’t you agree, witch?” She places her hand on Gromak’s shoulder. “Perhaps we should all enjoy a round.”

Gromak: “I think perhaps I will say goodnight to you. I must meditate before we leave on our journey.” Gromak takes the ticket from the agent and bows once more before leaving the rapidly deteriorating atmosphere of the tavern.

V: “Goodnight?” Veyr eyes the Orc again. “Perhaps your vision is fouler than your appearance,” she notes before glancing toward the gnome. “With company as ‘interesting’ as these, I suspect we’ll have no lack for excitement. And much lack for sleep.”

Mardove: Mardove takes a ticket before quickly dissappearing into the night.

Oomaru: Oomaru grunts irritably taking his ticket and heading back to the bar mumbling something about an owed drink.

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.